Get all your ingredients at El Burrito Mercado,
•Masa, 10lb we have ready to spread masa!
•Meat Filling, 4lb pre-packaged chicken in green sauce or pork in red sauce
•Corn Husks 1 bag
•Tamalera special pot for steaming tamales
Use about 5oz masa & 2oz meat filling per tamale estimates about two to three dozen tamales- depends
on your preferred tamales size.
Assembly and Cooking
1. Soak the corn husks in hot water so they become flexible & pliable, cut or layer corn husks and try to get the same size. (This could be a fun kids job)
2. This step is if you purchased our prepared masa. Using a soup spoon or buy a tamales spreader, in about the center of the corn husk with narrow side pointing away from you, start spreading and cover about 3/4 of corn husk, don’t spread too thin, nor too thick. (There are some great how to YouTube videos for techniques)
3. Plop the filling into the center (chicken, pork, beans, cheese, veggies) and carefully fold one side over, then fold over the other half and lastly fold over the ‘end’ with no masa or filling in it, and give it a gentle squeeze ‘closing’ the end.
4. •First place a penny at the bottom of the pot, yes, a penny.
•Insert the included flat strainer on the lip so it rests about 3″ from bottom of the pot, fill with hot water til it reaches the strainer.
•Place an empty 32oz can or metal square cheese grater in the center and layer corn husks around the center.
5. •Then begin placing the tamales open end up with folded end inward, placing them starting from the can or cheese grater and working outward.
•Continue layering tamales til about 3/4 to the top, cover with a wet terry cloth towel or aluminum foil, place lid tightly
•Cook at low to medium heat, if penny starts rattling, add more hot water slowly down the sides trying to not soak tamales.
•After about 1.5-2hrs check tamales, they are done when you pull the corn husk back the masa does not stick to it, let cool and enjoy or freeze them.